8 of the Best PDF Readers in 2020Vanessa Venugopal
PDF or Portable Document File is created by Adobe to help people open their files on any hardware or operating system easily, and to retain the original format no matter what device is used. With a PDF reader, you can read, edit, or create any file you want.
BENEFITS OF USING A PDF READER
- Multi-dimensional: It allows any content to be included in your file. You can add text, images, graphics, 3D models, audio files, animation, and more.
- Secure: You can add passwords, digital signature, or watermark to your file.
- Convenient: Easy to use and can be accessed anywhere you go.
- Compressed file size: Even though it compresses the file size, PDF readers still maintain the quality of it.
- Maintains format: No matter what device you use, when opening a PDF, you can see the same format on any device.
Adobe is the most popular reader of PDFs, but there are a lot of readers you can choose from that are available on the market.
Here in this article, we will provide you with the best PDF readers you can try. Some of which are free, while some have a free trial for a short period.
PDF READER 2020
First in our list of 2020’s best readers for your PDF is an Adobe product. The Adobe Acrobat Pro and Standard 2020 both took a step forward to bring great features unlike before. It also comes with enhanced security to protect your files.
- Convert JPEG, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or any file type to PDF.
- Easily edit text and images of the PDF.
- Add notes, annotations, and highlights on the file.
- Rearrange, rotate, crop, or delete a page on your PDF.
- Allow commenting from others.
- Protect the file from being copied or edited.
- Add or request for signatures.
- Turn forms into fillable PDF.
- Scanned files can be turned into PDF.
Both Adobe Acrobat Pro and Standard shared the same features mentioned above, but there are some features seen in Pro that are not available in Standard.
Foxit is another legendary name in assisting digital documents. It’s similar to Google Docs, where collaboration, sharing of documents, and real-time changes can be seen.
- Full functioning PDF reader that’s easy to use and ready for printing.
- Connect with Microsoft Office style ribbon toolbar.
- It has text-to-speech and refreshable Braille that can help blind or visually impaired users.
- Supports teamwork by annotating, sharing, and collaborating.
- Connect with storage software such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and SharePoint.
- Allows commenting on file.
- Multiple security options to secure your PDF document. You can sign with your handwritten signature, or use Microsoft Rights Management Services to protect your documents.
- With ConnectedPDF technology, you can utilize cloud-based services, secure your documents, track people who open your files, and allow teamwork.
Another PDF management software that’s good for both personal and business use is Kofax. It’s an easy-to-use platform that has features allowing you to create, edit, and collaborate. There are two versions of this software, but in general, here are the features you’ll get with PowerPDF of Kofax.
- Sign documents in your own handwriting or utilize eSignature.It’s designed to work well with the interface of Windows 10 and other touchscreen devices.
- Compile all PDF documents or any file type into a single PDF format.
- Convert any files to PDF, which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and even images.
- Convert PDF to other formats.
- Edit PDF documents.
- Add a digital stamp or signature.
If you want to experience more features of Kofax, it’s best to get the Advanced package.
Nitro Reader is one of the best known free PDF reader software, but it also has a paid version that offers advanced features. Some of its features are similar to other PDF software. You can use it to edit, collaborate, and convert files.
- Basic features of Nitro: Create, edit, convert, merge, scan, rotate, organize, secure, and compare documents.
- Integrate with cloud storage applications like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and Box to easily access your work anywhere and anytime.
- Improved e-signature on files or documents.
- Collaborate with others, as it is compatible with other readers, and colleagues can share the files once they created a QuickSign profile.
- Print Any Microsoft Office application to PDF.
Microsoft also has a line of PDF document reader. It can open PDF, XPS, and TIFF files. It makes it easy to search, edit, fill out, share, and print files. There’s also freehand drawing and writing tools.
- Allows fast and stable rendering, scrolling vertically or horizontally, password protection, and zooming.
- Add highlights, comments, texts, hyperlinks, or remarks. And, you can also use their freehand drawing and writing tool.
- Export, share, or print files.
- 500 MB of free space for storage.
- Delete, add, rotate, and arrange pages.
- Convert PDFs to any format such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Night mode reading.
It is the successor of the PDF-XChange Viewer, which has been discontinued. But this latest version gets the best tools you can use to edit and share with others.
It’s also one of the most popular free PDF software readers.
- Converts any file types to PDF.
- Edits full-text content.
- OCR image-based converts to full PDF format, complete with searchable text.
- Includes 40/128 bit RC4 and 128/256 bit AES Encryption password protection.
- Add comments and annotations.
- Export PDF documents to any image format.
- Search PDFs using its fastest search engine.
- Add or edit hyperlinks.
- Send PDF files via email.
- New features: full document spellchecker, supports Google Drive, Microsoft Office 365, and SharePoint, and multi-lingual document.
- PDF attachment for portfolios.
Another PDF reader that allows you to experience their excellent features with a free version is SODA PDF. It’s more than just viewing or opening PDF formatted documents, you can also edit, create, share, collaborate, and do more with it.
- View documents side-by-side, full screen, or continuous.
- Add comments, draw, highlight, or make any changes to the PDF content.
- Add Stamps for a seal of approval.
- Customize your PDF with any font or color you want.
- Delete, extract, rotate, or rearrange your files.
- Create PDF from blank, from a scanned document, a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, or any file.
- Compress files without losing quality.
- Add password to protect document or include permission level for access.
- Improve efficiency with a digital signature.
- Convert scanned or pictures into a PDF format.
- Remote signing on any device, online, or offline.
It’s made for your Mac and Windows devices. You can add, create, edit, and share PDFs you’ve created using PDFelement.
- Edit files like you’re working using a Word processor.
- Convert your PDFs to Office files or any file type while maintaining the original format.
- Work with others by allowing comments on your files for feedback. You can choose to turn off the comment too.
- Protect documents by covering sensitive information.
- It’s also compatible with your Android or iOS device.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT PDF READER
It’s not complicated when it comes to choosing the right PDF software you’ll need. Here are simple tips you should only keep in mind.
- It should be compatible with your operating system.
- It must have the features you most need or use.
- It’s within the budget/ affordable.
- Easy to navigate.
- Must have a free version for you to try it out first.
- Minimal loading time of documents.
All-in-all most PDF readers are almost the same depending on the plan and some slight differences in their features. If you only need simple features, you can use the free or basic plan, but if you are using it for professional purposes, buying an advanced plan is what you have to purchase.
Visit our online store, Softvire NZ, to get the best and most affordable PDF reader on the market.