When it comes to the realm of productivity software, Microsoft has everything you need. Furthermore, they’ve been around for a long time since they have established their name. But it doesn’t mean that it is perfect.
Microsoft Office Suite has drawbacks as much as it has unique and positive features. One feature that people find disadvantageous in Microsoft is its price. The office suite of Microsoft is expensive. It even depends on the plan you want to get. They do offer a Home or Business plan. Also, you can even choose if you want a subscription plan or a lifetime license. But they are even expensive in either way.
But that doesn’t mean you have to stick to Microsoft all the time. There are alternatives to Microsoft Office Suite that are easy to use and affordable. If you don’t want to spend much and use extensive and complicated features, here are some alternatives for you.
Best Alternatives to Microsoft Office Suite
Google Workspace was formerly known as G Suite. It has similar apps as it used to, only with better features and a new name.
There are plenty of apps within the Google Workspace suite. It includes the following;
- App Script
- Cloud Search
The most relevant of them are the Docs, Sheets, and Slide. They are the alternative to Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
When using Google apps, you need to log in with your Gmail account. It is only accessible through a web browser.
The great thing about Google Apps is the real-time collaboration on Docs and Sheets. You and anyone who has access to the file can work simultaneously. You can even see the different versions of the file.
Even better, since it works with Google Drive, you can store your work online or on the cloud. It works on operating systems like Windows, Mac, and Linux, as long as you have an updated browser.
If you want to integrate other apps, it’s possible. For example, you can add Grammarly to your Google Docs for proofreading.
It’s free to use with limited features.
If you need more apps to integrate or use, opting for the paid version is better. Google Workspace begins at $4.20/user/month. For Enterprise, you’ll need to contact Google’s team to get a quote.
As you choose a higher-paid plan, the more storage you get.
Mostly, it can work online. The offline version can work by using a plugin, but it’s not reliable.
Mac users get an office suite as part of the package, namely, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. They are not as popular as Microsoft and Google suites. However, they can be used for individual works or projects.
There is a web-based version, which is integrated with iCloud. It is compatible with the newest versions of Safari, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. iWork has its own file types and imports and exports major Microsoft Office formats like.docx,.xlsx, and .pptx with ease. It is free to use, but if you run out of iCloud storage space, you’ll need to buy some.
The interface is simple and less cluttered. It works on any screen size and can be supported on iPad and iPhone.
One downside to iWork is that the file format is not supported by other office apps, unlike Microsoft Office. However, other operating systems can use it by using the iCloud version.
- Pages: It is for creating sleek-looking documents. There are templates available and features like pictures, shapes, charts, and more.
- Numbers: It is equivalent to Excel. You can start with a blank sheet without a grid and add charts, tables, images, and more.
- Keynote: For creating stunning presentations. You can add transitions and text.
LibreOffice is a free, open-source office suite and a great alternative to Microsoft Office. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux computers. However, it doesn’t have integrated cloud storage or collaboration tools.
It is used by millions of people globally. With the clean interface and fully featured tools, you can create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, vector graphics and flowcharts, databases, and formula editing.
- Writer: A modern take on the Word processing app of Microsoft Office. You can edit, create, and even proofread.
- Calc: Spreadsheet program that’s easy to learn but with advanced features that professionals will benefit too. You can either start from scratch or use available templates. Collaboration within the app is possible.
- Impress: Different modes are available when editing or viewing your slides. Drawing and diagram tools are available, creating 2D and 3D text, and give you control over your presentation.
- Draw: A graphic and diagram app that lets you create quick sketches to complex designs. It’s best for creating technical drawings, brochures, flowcharts, and more.
- Base: It caters to a user who works with MySQL/MariaDB, Adabas D, MS Access, and PostgreSQL.
- Math: A standalone app or can be used in Writer, Calc, and Impress. It can be used to insert mathematical and scientific formulas.
It is free to download. Meanwhile, business users need to contact LibreOffice for more details.
Zoho Office Suite
Another alternative to Microsoft is Zoho Office Suite. It has three apps similar to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Creating and editing files with various formats is possible with the built-in editor. You can collaborate with your team, track changes, and allow everyone to see the final project.
- Writer: Equivalent of Word. It is an online editor where you can take notes or create documents. Writer can work with any document format, and collaboration is even possible. Multiple users can edit at once, like that in Google Docs. The interface is clean and free from distractions. Integration with WordPress and other Zoho tools is possible.
- Sheet: You can create a stunning spreadsheet, add charts and graphs, and collaborate with your team. It can automatically correct errors, remove duplicates, and fill out missing values. Excel files can be opened, and you can customize the functions you need.
- Show: Create a beautiful presentation with more than 100 templates to choose from. You can even import presentations from other software like PowerPoint. Zoho is dedicated to team collaboration, as you can work with your colleagues while editing a presentation. It’s possible to have real-time collaboration and commenting. Adding videos, creating animations, and building infographics are possible.
Zoho Office App has a free version.
If you want a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Office, but have the same features, WPS Office looks the same.
It is similar to Microsoft, from the interface to the tools within the app. It includes Writer, Presentation, and Spreadsheets that are all modeled after Microsoft’s well-known suite of applications. All of the files you create with these programs will be compatible with their Microsoft counterparts, and there’s even a PDF conversion toolkit in case you need to export or import in a more ready-to-use format. In addition, the suite is free for Android and iOS users.
If you’re used to a specific interface in Word programs and want to replicate it as precisely as possible, WPS is the way to go. You don’t have to take much time to learn the skills. Even the template options are based on classic Microsoft templates, making it simple to choose your preferred method of starting and filling out a document.
There is the Standard free version and paid versions that start at $18.99 for six months.
Another free and open-source office productivity suite is Apache OpenOffice. Although it is not as polished and fully featured as Microsoft and Google, it is good enough to create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
It has more than 40 languages, a clean interface, and even offers more than the usual office apps. Templates are available for creating your documents, spreadsheet, and more. There are even various extensions available if needed.
It can read and edit files from Microsoft and other popular office apps.
Encore Office Suite
Office Suite is the finest alternative to Microsoft Office apps since it is cost-effective, powerful, speedy, and compatible. The capabilities in Office Suite are ideal for usage at home, by students, and in workplaces where file sharing is critical. The versatile TextMaker (Word) can fit your day-to-day documentation. You can even create or design brochures, flyers, and more.
Meanwhile, the PlanMaker (Spreadsheet) provides tools to generate gorgeous charts and graphs, as well as tools to accomplish your business and household tasks efficiently.
With Presentations from Encore’s software, Office Suite, you can use OpenGL-based animations and slide transitions. There are multiple templates to choose from when needed.
The office suite is even affordable with a one-time purchase and no subscription.
Collaboration is possible by sharing PDF, adding comments, and you can even encrypt files and add passwords.
We offer Encore Office Suite here at Softvire NZ.
Dropbox is more than a place to store files and documents. Now, you can even work within the software to edit, collaborate, and share with your team.
However, Dropbox Paper is focused primarily on word processing. It is open for editing and collaborating with other users simultaneously. Files like .docx and .pdf can be processed within the app.
You can create a file, collaborate, and easily store the content directly on your Dropbox account. Adding comments or annotations is even possible.
It is free if you have a Dropbox account.
Benefits of Using Alternative Microsoft Office Apps
Microsoft Office is the king of all office productivity tools. With its advanced features and popularity, beating it on top of the list can be quite difficult. However, its price is the biggest drawback to it. Microsoft is an expensive brand. That’s why people try to look for better alternatives to it.
The mentioned alternatives in this article prove that there are other productivity tools that can be as effective as Microsoft. Furthermore, they are either free or affordable. You can even find unique tools that are not available on Microsoft.
Try out these different alternatives to Microsoft Office apps. They can provide the basic features you’ll need to create a document, spreadsheet, and presentation. But some offer more than the usual apps. Collaboration is one of the most common features of these software programs. So, if you need to work with your team, it can be possible.
Check out Encore Office Suite on our online shop and get the best deal online.