CorelDraw Graphics Suite vs. Adobe Illustrator: Which Should You Choose?Vanessa Venugopal
If you work in graphic designing and marketing, you know about Adobe Illustrator CC and CorelDRAW Graphics Suite.
But if you aren’t aware of these two software programs, we will be sharing some detailed comparisons about each, their uses, prices, and more.
We would like to compare the two products as many often ask which software program should they use. Also, these are the two leading software programs used in the graphic designing industry.
CorelDraw Graphics Suite Vs. Adobe Illustrator CC
CorelDraw Graphics Suite is a drawing program developed by Corel Corporation. It was introduced in the market in 1989. They are Adobe’s number one competitor when it comes to creative software. Corel has various graphic designing software programs, but their CorelDraw Graphics Suite is the equivalent of Adobe Illustrator.
CorelDraw is a vector-based software used to create various types of documents, big banners, and visiting cards. You can use simple lines and shapes or complex ones to create stunning illustrations, logos, textile design, logos, and more. It’s a software program that mainly focuses on creating impressive print media.
Illustrator was released in 1987, a few years earlier than CorelDraw. It is also a vector-based software program that graphic designers used to create high-quality artwork, design logos, illustrations, maps, and more.
Illustrator is flexible to create any design, and its features permit designers to express more of their creativity. It is considered the most versatile vector-based software.
Both CorelDraw and Adobe have the most outstanding of all the graphic designing software in the market. Hence, it makes them the best graphic designing software programs for multimedia art and printing.
The CorelDraw has three different packages.
- The Essentials is designed for DIY projects and occasional graphic users.
- The Standard version is created for hobbyists and small businesses.
- Meanwhile, the Graphic Suite version is the most popular and complete set of the CorelDraw.
The Graphic Suite product of CorelDraw is packed with many different tools for illustrating to photo editing.
- Corel Photo-Paint 2020: Editing images and use tools from CorelDRAW 2020 to add illustrations or vector designs
- Corel Font Manager 2020: Font library
- CAPTURE 2020: An application that lets users capture their screen with a single click
- AfterShot 3 HDR: A professional-grade application for editing RAW or JPEG image
- CorelDRAW.app: An application that allows users to access work remotely
- Object docker: Hide, rename, search objects, and manage all object’s format and fills
- Page layout tools: Choose a layout for designing your brochure, documents, and more
- Vector illustration tools: Contour, Envelope, Blend, Mesh fill, and more
- PowerTRACE: An AI-powered bitmap-to-vector trace results that enhance image quality as you trace it
- 7,000 clipart
- With over 1000 high-resolution digital photos
- 1000 TrueType and OpenType fonts.
- 150 professional templates
- Sign-in collaboration
- It supports PDF files
Adobe has now moved its standalone software as part of its Adobe Creative Cloud package. It doesn’t offer a one-time purchase of Illustrator anymore.
- Work on your desktop or sync files to the cloud and access them on your iPad, or continue even offline.
- Adobe Sensei: It is an AI-powered technology that takes color from images and adds them to your designs. It can turn hand-drawn sketches into vector graphics.
- Logo designing tools: Access to Adobe Stock, Adobe Font, Pathfinder, and Shapebuilder for managing shapes, turn traditional sketches into a logo with Adobe Capture, and uses CMYK or Pantone colors.
- Typography tools: Offers both hand lettering and professional typography fonts. Transform freehand drawing or letterings to vector graphics with Image Trace. Over 17,000 high-quality fonts, scale letters to any size, share letter designs to other Adobe software, and access on multiple devices.
- Banner tools: Customizable templates, use artboard to create high-quality banners, save designs with formats JPGs, PNGs, and other formats, and create banners for Facebook, YouTube, and other social media platforms.
- Share and collaborate with others on Illustrator.
- Drawing tools that create open and closed paths. These paths have anchor points that control the direction and shape to form a line or specific shape. It includes the Paintbrush tool, Blob Brush, Pencil, Curvature, and Pen tools.
- Non-destructive editing: Group layers together, hide and unhide layers, and lock them to control each layer while working on them.
Since Adobe doesn’t offer a one-time purchase license for Illustrator anymore, your only option is to avail of their subscription plan. It makes it more affordable than the full version license. Adobe offers a plan for Adobe Illustrator single app, or you can choose the creative cloud app with all the Adobe apps like Photoshop, InDesign, and more.
Adobe Illustrator’s monthly subscription plan is $27.62/ month.
Meanwhile, when you buy CorelDraw software, you can choose to have it as a one-time purchase or opt for their subscription plan. When you buy CorelDraw Graphics Suite as a one-time purchase, although a little much expensive, you get to access your work anytime and anywhere, go online to share it to the cloud, and no need to worry about monthly payment at all.
CorelDraw’s monthly subscription is $33.35/ month. Much expensive than Illustrator, but it has far more features than that of Illustrator Single App subscription.
CorelDraw and Illustrator are widely used by professional graphic designers. So, it is easy to find materials to help you use these software programs. However, Illustrator requires more attention than its opponent. It needs more time to learn the software as it has more complicated tools.
Since working remotely is the new norm, remote collaboration should be at the center of most software applications. Adobe and Corel both have different ways that cater to team collaboration.
For Illustrator, you can save and share a link to your work on the cloud document. Anyone can view your project and leave a comment via the web.
For CorelDraw Graphics, the CorelDraw.app permits the team to enjoy real-time collaboration. You can collaborate in-app, leave comments and suggestions while someone is working on the design.
Operating System and Devices
Illustrator’s latest version supports both Windows and Mac devices. It also offers an iPad version, which makes productivity easier, as you can bring your work with you wherever you go.
CorelDraw Graphics Suite supports Windows and Mac. However, their iPad version doesn’t play well, but Corel has a powerful web app you can use to work on the go and collaborate with your team.
Illustrator CC cannot support users who are using Windows 7, Windows 8, and other Windows 10 models. Hence, only those who are using the latest Windows 10 can be able to access Illustrator.
Meanwhile, the latest CorelDraw still supports Windows 7 and 8 users.
Since Adobe has established its name on the market, there is no doubt that Illustrator is more popular than CorelDraw. When doing a quick Google Trend search, you can see how Illustrator still surpasses CorelDraw.
However, that doesn’t make CorelDraw Graphics Suite 2020 a less superior software. As Corel updates its software to become faster and more competitive, the number of users is increasing.
Corel is chosen as the best alternative to Illustrator because it has a friendlier interface and professional tools.
Made for Who?
As mentioned earlier, Adobe has a steep learning curve, so this software application is best for professionals. However, if you want advanced features to develop your skills as a graphic designer or marketing professional, Adobe can suit you.
Whereas CorelDraw offers multiple packages for users. They have the Essentials and Standard options for beginners, hobbyists, short-term projects, or small businesses. While the Graphics Suite is for professional designers and marketing experts like Illustrator but easy to use.
Benefits and Uses
- Create crisp lines and designs
- Allows printing on any resolution
- Supports multiple page outputs
- Design photorealistic drawings
- Resize vector images without losing the quality
- Best for creating logos and illustrations
- Competent web designing software and for video game development
- Best for producing and printing industry-standard graphics
- Produces high-quality prints
- Supports various file sizes
- Great software for creating media for marketing like packaging, big banners, apparel, and more.
- Fast performance
- Can edit images with AI-technology
When it comes to popularity and advanced graphic designing features, Adobe Illustrator should be the main application of choice. However, if you want to focus on creating your designs without being interrupted by the complexity of the software, you should invest in CorelDraw Graphics.